In an effort to shut down the Jungle, where 12,000 mostly Muslim migrants have imploded the port city of Calais, the French government has chosen to disperse them throughout France– not deport them. And French mayors are outraged.
United in opposition to their towns becoming mini-Calais jungles, they created the “My town without migrants” campaign. Its leader, Steve Briois, argues:
“The Government has decided to displace the migrants from Calais to towns and villages across France without any thought about what the mayors or the population think.
“The association is for the 36,000 mayors of France regardless of their political affiliation. Opposition to the invasion of migrants has become a problem that transcends party lines.
“We want to be firm against the arrival of migrants to our towns.”
He added: “It is out of the question that what happened in Calais can be repeated across France, we have to say stop.”
Front National mayor Dominique Bilde said:
“We understand that these migrant centres could house at least 100 people, which in a village of 1,000 is 10 per cent of the population.”
And, Bilde pointed out that a proportion of migrants are dangerous because of France’s history with “Islamic fundamentalist violence.” Worse still, France is ignoring its own people.
“Meanwhile we are neglecting French homeless people. The state is saying: ‘Life of a castle for the migrants, the gutter for the homeless’.”
Mr. Rachline, the mayor of Frejus, tweeted: “Frejus will not welcome anyone and will not become the new Calais.”
Of course the group was criticized by a member of the French Socialist Party, Philippe Kemel, who argues the group is “discriminatory” and “stigmatises the most vulnerable people.”
But the government doesn’t have a plan for the increased violence that will come with the migrants to these towns. Instead, it is just shuffling the problem instead of creating a solution that puts French people first and reduces the economic and criminal burden on its people.
Large speakers played verses from the Quran as hundreds of mourners filed through the fanciest reception hall in Sana, the capital, to pay their respects to a prominent family after the death of its patriarch.
Then there was a roar, the hall shook, and the guests were knocked to the floor and enveloped in fire and smoke. Some rushed for the exits as parts of the ceiling collapsed, trapping others under the rubble.
“We did not think they would attack a funeral,” said Abdulla al-Shamy, 27, a clothing salesman who was in the hall at the time. “We did not think they would be so vile.”
The attack last Saturday, which Yemeni officials and witnesses said was a series of airstrikes by the military coalition led by Saudi Arabia, killed more than 100 people and unleashed political forces that could drastically change the course of Yemen’s war.
The United States will conduct “an immediate review” of its support for the Saudi-led coalition, with possible adjustments “to better align with U.S. principles, values and interests,” according to a statement from Ned Price, the National Security Council spokesman.
“U.S. security cooperation with Saudi Arabia is not a blank check,” Mr. Price’s statement said. “Even as we assist Saudi Arabia regarding the defense of their territorial integrity, we have and will continue to express our serious concerns about the conflict in Yemen and how it has been waged.”
Initially, Saudi Arabia denied that jets from its coalition had been involved in the attack. But in a statement on Sunday, the Saudis announced an investigation into “reports about the regrettable and painful bombing.”
The conflict in Yemen broke out in 2014 when rebels known as the Houthis seized the capital and sent the government into exile. The Houthis are allied with army units loyal to a former president, Ali Abdullah Saleh; they have been fighting for control of the country against groups at least nominally loyal to the current president, Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi, who is backed by Saudi Arabia and its Persian Gulf allies.
In March 2015, the Saudi-led coalition began a campaign of airstrikes aimed at turning the tide against the Houthi-Saleh alliance. The campaign has largely failed, while reports of civilian deaths have grown common, and much of the country is on the brink of famine.
The airstrikes on Saturday followed a period of escalation since August, when the last round of internationally backed peace talks broke down. Both sides have sought to bolster their positions since then.
Tamim al-Shami, a spokesman for the Yemeni Health Ministry, said that hospitals had received at least 114 bodies from the airstrikes and that more than 600 people had been wounded.
In a statement on Saturday, the United Nations said more than 140 had been killed in all.
The dead included many members of prominent tribes from northern Yemen. Ms. Alley, the analyst with the International Crisis Group, said those tribes might now ally with the rebels in new attacks on Saudi Arabia. Also killed were Abdulqader Hilal, the mayor of Sana, and a number of other political and military leaders who not only supported peace talks with the exiled government, but also had the credibility to put an accord into effect.
“They killed and injured several important moderate leaders who were working with them, who wanted a deal,” April Longley Alley, an analyst with the International Crisis Group who follows events in Yemen, said of the Saudi-led coalition. “Now the desire for revenge is high, and militants will be empowered, which puts us in a situation where a compromise might not be possible.”
The attack occurred at a time of growing tension between the United States and Saudi Arabia. Their decades-old alliance has been strained by the United States’ push for a nuclear agreement with Iran, a bitter Saudi enemy, as well as by American policy in Syria.
The United States has sold billions of dollars’ worth of military hardware and munitions to Saudi Arabia over the years, and a new arms deal worth $1.15 billion was approved this year, despite efforts by dozens of members of Congress to block it.
The United States does not provide the Saudi-led coalition with targeting information for strikes within Yemen, but it does help Saudi Arabia guard its borders and provides training and refueling for the Saudi Air Force. It is this support that could be curtailed after a policy review.
In Iran, the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps strongly condemned the airstrikes, calling them a “U.S-Saudi-Zionist joint plot,” the semiofficial Tasnim News Agency reported.
In a statement, the Revolutionary Guards predicted that the Houthis would seek revenge and said that Saudi leaders would suffer the same fate as that of “dictators” like the former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and the former Libyan leader Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi.
The world’s biggest beer festival has recorded its lowest turnout for 15 years amid heightened security fears, while at the same time experiencing an increase in reported sex crimes.
The Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany had around 5.6 million visitors this year, down 300,000 since last year and the lowest number since just after the September 11th 2001 terror attacks.
The drop in the number of attendees follows a series of attacks in the German state of Bavaria.
In July, German-Iranian student David Ali Sonboly went on a shooting spree in Munich, killing nine people at a shopping center before turning the gun on himself.
In the same week, an Afghan migrant attacked a train in Würzburg with an axe, injuring at least four people, and a failed asylum seeker blew himself up at a bar in the town of Ansbach, injuring 12 people and killing himself.
However, despite an overall fall in crime at the festival, the number of reported sex crimes increased this year from 21 to 31.
The group “Safer Wiesn for Girls and Woman” also said 215 women came to security checkpoints for help this year compared to 197 last year, of whom 18 reported suffering violence.
A number of large-scale public events have reported an increase in sexual assaults since the massive influx of migrants began entering Europe last year.
The most notorious example was the New Year’s Eve attacks in the German city of Cologne, in which gangs of mainly North African migrants committed mass sexual assaults against women revelers.
Police received over 1,500 complaints of sexual assault, mugging, pickpocketing and even rape, although it took the local government six months to admit the majority of perpetrators were recently arrived migrants.
Figures showed that 70 per cent of the suspects had been in Germany for less than a year, despite repeated denial by authorities.
Close to 50,000 children are in danger of starving to death in Nigeria due to a scorched-earth policy by the brutal Islamist group Boko Haram, according to UNICEF, as reported by the Los Angeles Times.
In addition, close to 250,000 people are severely malnourished in Borno state. In total, 4.4 million people are affected by the terror inflicted on the population by the group, an affiliate of the Islamic State in West Africa. Half of those people live in areas inaccessible to relief agencies.
Northeastern Nigeria was once the breadbasket of the entire country, with its fertile ground, abundant water and climate suitable for growing crops all year long. The region produced rice, maize, wheat, millet, sorghum, cowpeas, fruits, peppers, chilies and vegetables. Fish from Lake Chad was sold throughout the country’s marketplaces.
Now, Boko Haram, whose militants kidnapped entire swaths of the population, burned villages and massacred tens of thousands, has left a wasteland behind. Crops that were growing were abandoned as the populations able to flee left the area to save themselves.
“We lost our farmlands and produce to Boko Haram and [were] reduced to a life of begging. We left our produce on the farm, in silos and stores in the market. But all that is gone, we have nothing left,” said Umar Bate, the head of the farmer’s union in Doron Baga on Lake Chad.
Boko Haram’s assault on Dorn Baga, Baga and two towns close by left at least 2,000 dead, including 250 farmers in the union, with satellite pictures showing 3,700 houses destroyed. All markets are closed. Crops left behind were looted by the terror group
A young Christian boy travelling on a motorbike on the main street in a village close to Faisalabad accidently struck a Muslim man standing near the road last week. Uninjured, the man got up and started beating the boy who managed to escape.
The man then began shouting, calling all his relatives and friends, claiming that a Christian hit him intentionally with his motorbike.
In rage, the mob gathered rods and sticks and ran towards the Christian dwellings in the village. Many Christians fled the town, but some – including women — were captured and brutally beaten by the mob. Their injuries were horrific.
As the mob attacked and the Christians begged for their lives, the Muslims shouted that they would kill every one of them if the entire community didn’t pick up and leave the area.
While the attack was underway, one member of the Christian community was able to contact Robin Daniel, a Christian leader and chairman of the National Minority Alliance of Pakistan based in Faisalabad, who rushed to the scene with a team of helpers. He took all injured to a nearby hospital, where they were given medical treatment.
Armed with the necessary documentation of the injuries from the hospital, Daniel went to a local police station and filed a complaint against the Muslim extremists who instigated and participated in the attack.
The police, however, refused to register the complaint. Christians say this is common practice whenever a member of the Christian community registers a complaint against a Muslim in Pakistan.
As is typical, they say, local Muslims had already pressured the police not to take any action. In addition, Muslim political leaders advised Christians to move from the area as local Muslims threatened the Christians they would target them again.
Faisalabad is the third most populous city of the Punjab province. Christian missionaries established several villages in the vicinity of the city but now, because of persecution, thousands of Christians who once made the area their home have left.
Those that remain, live in the village next to Faisalabad, where this incident occurred. They mainly eke out a living through manual labor.
Since the beginning of 2016, a severe wave of persecution was launched against minorities in Pakistan, with the government taking no apparent interest in safeguarding their rights.
A suicide bomb rocked the Somali town of Galkayo on Sunday, killing at least 20 people and showing that Islamist militants, despite recent setbacks, can still plan and execute deadly attacks anywhere in the country.
Galkayo, a midsize town in central Somalia, had been quiet in recent months.
Yet that suddenly changed at 10 a.m. on Sunday when militants detonated a deafening bomb in a market, sending a column of black smoke shooting into the sky. A squad of militants stormed a nearby government building, engaging in gun battles with security forces.
“One of the blasts was so huge, I was really shocked,” said Abdirahman Abdweli, a student in the city.
The explosion ripped the roofs off several buildings, scattering sharp pieces of corrugated metal and debris across the area.
The death toll was not immediately clear. The Shabab militant group, which claimed responsibility for the attack, said 30 people had been killed. Somali health officials and residents said the number was closer to 20, with dozens wounded.
The United States is increasingly watching Somalia, a poor, unstable country that has spewed violence across its borders for more than 20 years. On Aug. 10, American Special Forces assisted Somali troops in killing several members of the Shabab who were running an illegal checkpoint. Somali officials said the Shabab had lost “senior members” in that raid.
In recent years, American airstrikes have killed many Shabab members, including both foot soldiers and top commanders.
On Monday, Secretary of State John Kerry is scheduled to hold talks on Somalia with African officials in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi. State Department officials said he would also focus on South Sudan, which has plunged into bloodshed and chaos as well.
Somalia is scheduled to hold an election this year to choose its Parliament and president. But because of the rampant instability and the paucity of functioning government institutions, citizens will not be lining up to vote. Instead, clan elders will select delegates, who will then choose the politicians.
Somali intellectuals have criticized this plan, saying the government is using the process as a way to stay in power and siphon more money from donor nations like the United States.
“The prevailing Somali public view is that the electoral process will not be free, fair and transparent as vehemently claimed,” said Mohamud M. Uluso, a former Somali government official.
“Today I want to send a message to every survivor of sexual assault,” Clinton said. “Don’t let anyone silence your voice. You have the right to be heard. You have the right to be believed, and we’re with you.”
Clinton said women should immediately be believed, starting a process to “determination as to what if anything should be done about the claim that was made.”
See something missing from the quote that’s on Hillary’s website? “You have the right to be believed.” Now why would her campaign delete that part of the quote? Apparently, they used to have the entire quote, but they recently scrubbed it.
Perhaps part of the reason is that people keep bringing up Hillary’s case from the 70’s where a 12-year-old girl was raped, and Hillary was the rapist’s defense attorney.
Or, it could be that people are also bringing up Hillary’s philandering husband who has quite a list of women who have come forward over the years, accusing him of rape.
If all those women are to be believed – as Hillary said we should do – then that means that she is married to at least a rape suspect. That just plays into the idea that “ordinary” people get in trouble with the law when they commit crimes (and sometimes when they don’t commit crimes), but not the Clintons. They can get away with rape and murder.
So, to avoid further attention to the matter, they decided to just delete that portion of the quote. Ironically, by deleting it, they’re actually drawing more attention to it.