It certainly seems that way, says a noted expert on jihad.
The recent “mentally unstable” young man to launch a seemingly random attack on unarmed civilians was Zakaria Bulhan, a 19-year-old Somali Muslim who had been resettled in Norway at the age of 5. Bulhan singled out an American woman in London and stabbed her to death Wednesday on a busy square filled with tourists, then injured five others in a stabbing spree before being apprehended.
“Authorities have ascribed jihad terror to mental illness on numerous occasions,” said Robert Spencer, including the Orlando, San Bernardino and Chattanooga attacks in the United States. Sometimes it sticks, but usually, days, weeks or even months later, when few people are still paying attention, the police will retract their earlier statements and admit it was a terrorist attack.
In the case of the Chattanooga attack it took the FBI five months to decide that Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez was indeed a jihadist and not simply a mentally disturbed young man who suddenly snapped before shooting to death five unarmed U.S. servicemen.
“What could account for this global outbreak of mental illness that always manifests itself in similar ways?” Spencer said in an email. “Authorities should start asking themselves why so many mentally ill people embrace Islamic jihad violence. What are Obama and European leaders doing about this curious epidemic of mental illness among Muslims?”
A profile on a book-rating website in the Norwegian Somali’s name showed an interest in Islamic theology, listing a biography of the Prophet Mohamed and a book of Quran verses and hadiths as recent reads, the Independent reported.
Yet British police remain baffled. They said they continue to “investigate the motives” for the attack, which left 64-year-old Diane Horton bleeding to death on London’s Russell Square. The others injured were an American man, Australian man and woman, an Israeli woman and British man.
Scotland Yard’s first impulse was to say the unnamed attacker was “mentally unstable,” a story that was widely reported throughout Europe and on every major TV network in the United States. By the time British authorities released Bulhan’s name along with the fact that he was a Muslim, the media attention was turned onto other topics of interest, such as the opening of the Olympic Games and Donald Trump’s latest campaign snafus.
And not only was Bulhan a Muslim but a “devout” Muslim, according to his neighbor, who knew him for seven years and told the Daily Mail he saw no evidence of mental illness.
The neighbor, Parmjit Singh, a BBC radio host, said “His mental health problems are a scapegoat. They said he had mental health issues but that was not the boy I knew.”
Even after the attacker was identified as a Somali Muslim whose family had been resettled in Norway when he was 5 years old, there was still a concerted effort by the British authorities and media to blur any ties to Islam.
Scotland Yard said no evidence has been found of radicalization or anything to suggest the attack was “in any way motivated by terrorism,” the Independent reported
The same reason, mental instability, was given for the attack on the Pulse nightclub in Orlando on June 12 by Omar Mateen, a Muslim born in the U.S. of Afghan immigrants.
And the recent attack by a female Somali refugee in Lawrenceville, Georgia, in which the refugee beat a woman with her own American flag, well, you guessed it, she was mentally ill too, the FBI said.
The pattern of blaming jihad attacks on mental illness is taking shape throughout the West and involves a concerted effort by globalist politicians and their corrupt media allies, says Spencer, author of JihadWatch blog and author of many books on Sharia and jihad.
“Immediately after the attack happened, British authorities said that the attacker had serious mental health issues and no link to terrorism. Now his neighbor has come forward and revealed that he had no mental health issues but a big interest in the Islamic State (ISIS). The British (and U.S.) authorities try to obscure the motivating ideology of jihad terrorists every time there is a jihad attack. They are doing everything they can to keep their people from getting the idea that there is a jihad threat at all. This is a grave disservice to Britons and Americans, and the ignorance and complacency this strategy fosters endanger us all.”
David Kupelian, author of “The Marketing of Evil, “How Evil Works” and his latest, “The Snapping of the American Mind,” asks a poignant question of the British and American authorities.
“In all these cases of jihad-type massacres that the authorities label ‘mental illness,’ we need to ask: Where does ‘radical Islam’ end and ‘mental illness’ begin? And what if they are the same thing?”
For more than 150 years, the most enduring legal standard for claiming innocence by reason of insanity has been the M’Naghten rule – that the perpetrator did not know that his criminal actions were wrong at the time he committed them, Kupelian noted.
“But by that definition, every Islamic terrorist in the world is innocent, since his religious delusions persuade him that not only is it right and moral to massacre innocent men, women and children, but it is mandatory, required by their god as a prerequisite for salvation,” he said.
G.M. Davis, a documentary filmmaker and author of “House of War: Islam’s Jihad Against the World,” said mental illness is an easy crutch to explain away acts of religious-based violence that modern multicultural societies cannot understand because they themselves have been guzzling the Kool -Aid of insanity.
“When confronted with the acts of violence we have witnessed across Europe throughout the summer of 2016, it is easy to take refuge in the idea that the perpetrators are irrational monsters who cannot possibly have any connection with the real world except a desire to destroy it,” Davis said.
Mental illness is such a refuge, “i.e., they must all be crazy!” Davis said.
Surely rushing into a crowd armed with a bomb or a gun or a knife and screaming “God is great” is madness to the Western mind. The reason that the insanity defense is so appealing in a brainwashed multicultural West is that the multicultural worldview cannot accept the existence of other worldviews that do not have “tolerance” as their creed, Davis said.
“In a way, it may be considered a form of projection: the insane accusing the other of insanity,” he said. “It makes no sense that a rational person should give up his life in this world for some fantasy world in the next; that ‘for the price’ of their lives and properties ‘theirs shall be the Paradise’ such that ‘they fight in Allah’s cause, so they kill and are killed.’” (Quran 9:111)
“No politically-correct formulation for explaining jihadist violence may be allowed to touch on Islam itself. ‘Mental illness’ is a way of pretending to shed light on the apparently inexplicable while soothing the multicultural conscience.”
Author and pastor Carl Gallups says that with the tag of mental illness the globalists believe they can convince the American public that this is not really Islamic jihad at work.
Gallups said if the war was being caused by continuous acts of global violence launched in the name of Christianity, the media would have no problem pointing out and naming the enemy, labeling each attack as an act of terrorism regardless of whether or not its perpetrators had mental-health issues.
He said basic logic should compel the media to ask questions like, ‘Why are so many mentally ill people embracing Islamic jihad violence?’ And, if this is so, what does this say about radical Islamic jihad as a whole? The answer is obvious. Apparently the globalist-leftist media has not thought this through.”
List of terror attacks blamed on mental illness:
- France: Muslim destroys Christmas decorations, screams “Allahu akbar”: “His mental state, quickly found wanting, required his placement in the specialized hospital Allonnes.”
- France: Muslim driver ramming pedestrians while screaming “Allahu akbar!” was “absolutely not an act of terrorism”: “This is absolutely not an act of terrorism,’ Prosecutor Marie-Christine Tarrare told reporters during a press conference, adding that the man had a ‘long-lasting and severe psychological disorder’ and had been hospitalized over 150 times since 2002.”
- UK: Imam accused of recruiting for jihad group doesn’t have to wear electronic tag — it breaches his human rights: “A terror suspect last night won a human rights case to have his tag removed – because he thinks MI5 has put a bomb inside it. A judge said the dangerous preacher of hate has mental health problems, and wearing the electronic monitoring device was making him ‘delusional.’”
- California: Muslim arrested in mosque vandalism: “His older sister describes Khan as having schizophrenia.”
- Muslim NYPD cop killer told passers-by to watch: “The gunman who fatally ambushed two New York City police officers in their squad car had a long criminal record, a hatred for police and the government and an apparent history of mental instability that included an attempt to hang himself a year ago, police said Sunday.”
- France: Muslim who stabbed rabbi gets four years: “Haddouche was deemed unfit to stand trial because of mental issues following a psychiatric evaluation…”
- Toronto Muslim charged with carrying concealed meat cleaver into Parliament: “RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson told reporters that Ali is known to authorities, but ‘not in the sort of counter-terrorism context.’ In fact, Paulson does not believe that the man’s actions were politically motivated or an act of terror. ‘I understand it is less a concern around so-called national security considerations as it is a mental health issue,’ he said. ‘There is a history of behaviors that are odd.’”
- Austria: Muslim drives car into crowd, killing 3, then gets out and stabs passersby: “Police are not currently investigating terrorism as a motive and the man is believed to be suffering from mental illness.”
- Canada: Police shoot Muslim wearing apparent suicide vest and holding triggering device: “In the aftermath of the shooting, police downplayed the incident saying only that the call involved ‘an emotionally disturbed person.’”
- Muslim bangs on cockpit door, threatens to down plane, “wanted to see Allah”: “After being held back from the cabin door, which could not have been opened anyway, the man, who fellow passengers said appeared to have mental health issues, was then guarded by staff and the sports stars in business class.”
- Muslim woman who said Allah told her to behead toddler recently became religious, started wearing hijab: “One theory is that the woman is mentally ill and that she may have been exploited by a man or men she knew.”
- Canada: Ottawa shooter’s father waged jihad in Libya in 2011; shooter not a recent convert but a longtime Muslim: “Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, the slain 32-year-old suspected killer of a Canadian Forces soldier near Parliament Hill, was a laborer and small-time criminal – a man who had had a religious awakening and seemed to have become mentally unstable.”
- Canada: Muslim acting “in the name of Allah” runs down two soldiers, flips car after chase, charges officers with long knife, is shot: “‘We are at the beginning of an investigation. Several hypotheses are being looked at,’ said Sgt. Michel Brunet, adding that investigators would study various angles, including mental illness and terrorism.”
- Philly cop shooter: “I follow Allah. I pledge my allegiance to the Islamic State. That is why I did what I did.”: “Archer’s mother has indicated that he is mentally ill and Ross said investigators do not know yet if the suspect was indeed radicalized or tied to terrorism.”
- Oklahoma: School evacuated after “Middle Eastern” woman says she came there to “take the kids to heaven”: “During the news conference, police also said that the woman had been having mental health concerns recently.”
- Chattanooga jihad murderer viewed Awlaki material online, spoke of Islamic martyrdom as long ago as 2013: “As the F.B.I. sent more investigators into this city Monday to explore dozens of possible leads, a picture took shape of a deeply troubled young man who struggled with mental illness and drug abuse at the same time he found himself alienated from United States policies in the Arab world, according to the authorities, friends and the family representative.”
- Colorado Muslim stabs cop, drops Qur’an during struggle and is heard making “Islamic statements” during attack: “At about 2 p.m. Saturday, the suspect’s family told law enforcement that they were worried because Clark left his residence in Penrose and said he wasn’t going to return. They also said Clark was mentally disturbed, had been working out a great deal during the last two months and recently had broken up with his girlfriend.”
- NYC police commissioner: Hatchet attack by convert to Islam was terror: “Authorities also are trying to determine if Thompson had any history of mental illness.”
- UK Muslim who admitted sharing jihad videos rants about “enemy of Islam court”: “Ahmed, who has a history of mental health problems, pleaded guilty to two counts of dissemination of a terrorist publication.”
- France: Muslim screaming “Allahu akbar!” tries to strangle police officer: “Other police officers saw the events on the video surveillance system and rushed to save their colleague, who had been thrown to the ground. His assailant was said to have a history of psychiatric problems.”
- Spain: Violent Muslim screaming “Allahu Akbar, all you Christians will die!” gets arrested: “Later, he was administered comprehensive tests to ascertain if he was under the influence of drugs or suffered from a mental illness.”
- UK Muslim gets 20 years for trying to set up jihad training camp in Oregon: “Haroon Aswat, who has been treated for mental illness in the UK, had pleaded guilty to the charges in March after being extradited from Britain to the US last year.”
- France: Knife-wielding Muslim teen screams “Allahu akbar!” as he shoots teacher with BB gun: “A psychiatric examination was scheduled for 13 October, with the teenager is likely to be brought before a judge.”
- Colorado Muslim woman pleads guilty to conspiring to aid Islamic State: “Moore set sentencing for Jan. 23, saying he wanted time for Conley to undergo more complete psychiatric testing. ‘I desire more information’ on her mental state,’ he said, asking for both a psychological and personality evaluation.”